Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A Little Under the Weather

29 June 2009
Dear Family,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD! I cant believe that you're 51. Did you do a big celebration last year for your 50th? Here in New Zealand, the 21st, 50th, and 75th are big birthdays. Do you like the tie i gave you for Christmas?

I'm sorry i haven't developed my photos yet, because its quite expensive to do it in Paihia. I will get it done next week.

Sorry also for forgetting to respond about Sister Howe's birthday card. I got it about a week and a half ago. I'll need to write a letter to her and express my thanks.

This week was a bit rough simply due to sickness. Both my companion and i got sick this week. On Tuesday night i pulled a muscle in my back and wasn't able to move it very easily. By the next morning it was feeling much better. Then i developed a cough and started experiencing flu symptoms. That took us out for part of Thursday and most of Friday. So our stats suffered this week as well. Some of our investigators were sick so they couldn't make it either.

One of the neat experiences that we had was the confirmation for Evan Richards. He was confirmed by a family member, Brother Reihana. His Grandfather was invited to bear his testimony and he bore a powerful testimony about how him and his family have come into activity. He thanked us a part of it. He said there were many times when we came over and we always asked to have him turn off his rugby. He said that he doesn't watch it as much because he is now more focused on his mokopuna (grandchildren). His wife is now coming actively as well.

There were a couple times this week where i was feeling pretty down. My companion was very helpful in keeping me going despite the hardships we had with investigators, and other circumstances. I had some longer and more diligent prayers than i normally have and it was comforting and helpful.

I was doing great last week at writing in my journal every night, and I'll have to continue again. When i was sick, we would quickly plan, and then i would konk out within minutes of lying down on my bed. I feel a lot better right now.

Tomorrow we have our Zone Conference in Whangarei. This will be exciting because its a smaller meeting and also i havn't had a Zone Conference in Whangarei since i started my mission.

I've been wondering if this will be my last transfer in the "country". I've served in the outskirts of the city for the majority of my mission. After this transfer, i have only two more. I am shocked at how near everything is.

We also had a great lesson with George and Cynthia. We were feeling that they need their faith to be strengthened, but we were unsure of how to approach the need. We ended up singing Joseph Smith's First Prayer, and read from JSH about the first vision and how Joseph Smith exercised faith despite the opposition. It was a very powerful lesson.

Where is Blake doing his Eagle Project? I believe this is the first time I've even heard it mentioned.

As for the schooling, I heard from Elder Burr that his trainer (who just finished last week) was allowed by President Porter to do a bit of research and preparation for his schooling during the time he would do his emails. I may consider that.

Something that i may want to do right when i get back is going into drafting. I did a bit in High School, and i really enjoyed it.

By the way, how is Brother Salveson doing and his work @ Creative Rents? I really enjoyed working there, even though it was min wage.

Also, how is Grandma Cashmore doing as well as Grandma and Grandpa Dungy?

Well, I think I've written more than enough for you to read. I love you all very much. Keep up all the hard yakker.

Love, Elder Cashmore

No comments:

Post a Comment