Sunday, March 22, 2009

Walking in Their Shoes....

22 March 2009
Dear Family,

Thank you for your good emails. Thanks for answering my questions. The reason i asked about the refereeing was that i might be interested in doing a little bit of that after i return from my mission.

This week has been a very rough week with us not having as many lessons as we had planned. The majority of the planned lessons we had did not go through. It was quite upsetting. We finally had a lesson last night and it didn't go well either. It was a lesson with a family from Colombia, a mother with eight year old twin girls. They are really funny kids. She is quite a neat lady. It was quite awkward having everything you said translated and we both felt that we missed quite a few of the principles that were supposed to be taught. I guess i am upset because I've been a year + out and can't seem to teach with clarity or teach for understanding. This isn't what i expected and I'm pretty disheartened about it all.

Elder Tham is doing pretty good. He is good at analyzing our teaching and helps me keep going. He is very stalwart and loves to be bold.

I really enjoyed Sacrament meeting this week though. I really tried to find direction and peace and it came more powerfully than it normally does. Something i did prior to one of my studies this week was that i sang one of the Sacramental hymns and then had a good prayer and I really felt the Spirit more that study than i normally do. I somehow always feel like i need to play catch up with the many things i cant seem to get done. I wish i were more organized.

We were at our ward mission leader's home and as we were leaving yesterday i noticed all his different shoes and i asked where I could buy some new shoes. He didn't tell me where, but just gave me a pair! I don't know if i should have accepted them, but i did. They also gave us some canned food and other foodstuff. That is one of the greatest feelings of having someone give you something that is needed. I have never asked for anything, but usually make a comment, and then end up with an offer. For example, in my last area when i was with Elder Ta'ulelei, we had ran out of firewood and were relying upon oil heaters, but it was still really cold. We were at a members house and i joked that our flat was so cold that we should just turn off the fridge and save power! He then offered us a supply of firewood and Elder Ta'ulelei accepted. For the most part, the members really take care of the missionaries temporal needs the best ones are the ones that trust us enough with their friends and family to teach. I want to be that way and do those things for Elders when i get home. They give up a lot and it is much appreciated when they provide us with those basic necessities.

How are the others missionaries that are serving from our ward doing? I have not heard much about them or how they are going. Please update me.

I honestly cannot think of anything i need or want for my birthday. I don't have to worry about the shoes. Maybe a very unique but not distracting tie would be good. I've been thinking of getting a new watch, because the face of it is cracked almost from the top to the bottom. It has let in any water or anything. I don't even know how it cracked. I 'll probably just wait till i finish. I'm not allowed any knives or tools either. Well anyway, that isn't that important.

Have a fantastic week.

Love, Elder Cashmore

P.S. I can't believe how many people are getting married back home. Is there anyone else from my seminary class that is getting married soon or is already married?

No comments:

Post a Comment